THE BROCKHOUSE ERA
In 1950, then-Indian Motorcycle president Ralph B. Rogers resigned from his position and was replaced by English businessman John Brockhouse. In 1953, the Indian Motorcycle Manufacturing Company ceased operations and discontinued production of all models, and the brand name was purchased two years later by Brockhouse Engineering, which began selling imported Royal Enfield motorcycles branded as Indian Motorcycles. In 1960, John Brockhouse sold the dwindling remains of the Indian Business to the Associated Motorcycle Company, and the brand died out soon after.
Industry leader Floyd Clymer bought the rights to the brand name in 1963, and again tried rebranding British bikes with the ‘Indian Motorcycle’ badge until his passing in 1970, when his attorney took ownership of the trademark. Under Clymer’s attorney’s direction, sales sharply declined and operations ceased yet again in 1977.